Keep Going

All I had to do was make the best decisions at each moment; not for tomorrow, not for next year, and not for 10 years from now. It was about staying the course step by step. Sometimes that is all we can do and that is okay.

Feel Good Things

I stepped out of the shower a few days ago at the gym after my third hard workout of the week when I suddenly realized how good I felt. I’ve been a bit off my game the last few months when it comes to getting in my three weekly gym workouts so this was the first time in a while that I felt that familiar pride, joy and mofoness (I know this is not a real word) that regular exercise brings. Feeling that again caused me to think about the reasons we sometimes do not do what we know makes us feel our best. 

Hormones for Sale and Other Musings

I lost all of my hormones when I was 40. Gone. Nada. Kaput. It felt like I lost them overnight. I was at my doctor for my regular physical when she walked in and said, “Carrie, you’re in menopause. According to your test results you blew right past peri-menopause into full-blown menopause. It’s time to get on hormone replacement therapy. I’ll leave it at the front desk for you.”


Shame for Dinner

Something I encounter often with clients is shame; shame over not eating the right foods, not exercising enough, sleeping too much or not enough, drinking too often or too much, anger, use of sleep medication, not managing time well, and the list goes on. With so many opportunities to feel shame, by the end of a day a person can shame themselves into feeling quite worthless.

Temazcal and Courage

This past weekend in Tulum I experienced my first Temazcal, a Mayan sweat lodge ritual meant to symbolize death and rebirth, among other things. As a seasoned sauna user, I imagined (hoped?) that my ability to withstand 200-degree heat for 30 minutes would somehow transfer over to the Temazcal ceremony. It did not.

Motivation and Endurance

I just returned from the Institute of Functional Medicine's Annual International Conference where this year's topic was Pain, Stress, and Addiction. I feel infinitely inspired.

The 93/7 Rule

I used to tell my clients to follow the 80/20 rule: be as near to perfect as you can 80% of the time and let yourself be a cake-eating, gin-drinking, non-exerciser the other 20% of the time. Then I did the math.


Notes of Inspiration